Event: Lacrosse - Earlham at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The fourth of a quartet of home games to start the 2019 season took place on Monday afternoon. After falling to Ferrum, 10-5, on Saturday, the Hollins lacrosse team was back in action against Earlham College. The Quakers used a quick start, five goals in the game's first eight minutes of play would set the tone for the entire game.
The result: Earlham 17-3
How it happened: Earlham would score their fist goal just 1:43 into play. The Quakers would then score four more times in the opening minutes to seize control of the contest. Hollins would score three times in the first half, however, they could not overcome the 21-9 shot discrepancy and would trail at the break, 10-3. The Green and Gold would enjoy three free position attempts in the second 30 minutes, but each time the Quaker keeper would stop Hollins from finding the back of the net. With one final tally in the game's final minute, Earlham would come to Roanoke and leave with a 17-3 win.
- Three more goals for Allie Helmbrecht, giving the senior nine scores on the season
- Kate Woodruff earned her first collegiate point with an assist on Hollins second goal of the game
- On defense, Sydney Strange caused seven turnovers while Carsen Helms collected six ground balls
- Emma Lady recorded seven goals, one assist, four draw controls, six ground balls, and caused three turnovers
- Claudette Roskamp added six goals, one assist, seven ground balls, five caused turnovers, and collected six draws
- Four of Jordan Blackburne's six saves were on free position attempts
What's next: Hollins will experience life on the road when they travel to William Peace on Thursday. It will be Hollins lone away game before returning home for two more games prior to Spring Break.