Event: Basketball - Hollins at Eastern Mennonite (Harrisonburg, VA)
The lead: The Hollins basketball team took the court for the final regular season game of the 2018-19 season. A trip to Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rival Eastern Mennonite on Saturday afternoon was the final scheduled competition for a Hollins team that has tripled her ODAC win total from a season ago.
The result: Eastern Mennonite 69-47
How it happened: The Royals took a moment prior to tip-off to honor their five seniors who when came out to start the final home game of their career. Hollins took advantage of the emotional event and took a two point lead into the second quarter, 13-11. The second frame belonged to the home team as Eastern Mennonite hit seven of their 15 shots while holding Hollins to just 15% shooting. At the break, EMU had re-taken the lead, 25-21. As the second half began, neither team could get much going as the Royals enjoyed a 4-0 edge over the first five minutes of play. Keenan Surles hit back-to-back three pointers as Hollins pulled back to within five, however, Eastern Mennonite would take a nine point advantage into the final 10 minutes of play. The Royals would dominate the final period and pull away to the ODAC win.
- Kayla Surles scored a game high 23 points while adding three assists and two steals
- ODAC leading shot blocker Keyazia Taylor added two more blocks to her Hollins single season record (59) and by virtue of her 15 rebounds, Taylor finished the season leading the ODAC in Blocked Shots, Rebounds per Game (10.5), total rebounds (259), and defensive rebounds (205)
- Keenan Surles added 11 points, finishing the season with 202 points and 53 made three pointers
Eastern Mennonite notes:
- Jess Washington posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds
- Chrissy Delawder led EMU with 13 points
- The Royal's bench out-scored Hollins 37-0
What's next: The game marked the end of the 2018-19 season for a Hollins team that had their best season, overall and ODAC, since the 2012-13 campaign.