Event: Basketball - Hollins at Shenandoah (Winchester, VA)
The lead: Ahead of another forecast snow storm in the Roanoke Valley, the Hollins basketball team headed north to Winchester to face Shenandoah University. The game was moved up two hours in hopes of the Green and Gold getting home before a bulk of the storm settled in for the evening.
The result: Shenandoah 52-42
How it happened: Despite shooting less then 24% in the first half, Hollins played solid defense and trailed by just four at the break. The third quarter was a struggle once again on the offensive end of the floor, just 4-14 from the field, while the Hornets converted half of their 14 field goal attempts. Hollins found themselves down 13 heading into the final 10 minutes of play and posted the highest scoring frame for either team, 16 points. However, it wasn't enough as Shenandoah held on for the 10 point win.
- Keyazia Taylor eclipsed her season average with 11 rebounds
- Leading scorer Kayla Surles netted a game high 20 points
- Hollins led in offensive rebounds, 12-8
- Jordan Sondrol paced the Hornets with 16 points, seven rebounds, and two blocked shots
- The Shenandoah bench out-scored Hollins 17-5
- 16 assists on 21 made field goals
What's next: Hollins will kick off a three game home stand with a visit from Ferrum on Wednesday night at 7:00pm.