Event: Basketball - Hollins at the Univ. of Lynchburg (Lynchburg, VA)
The lead: The first of back-to-back Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) road games for the Hollins basketball team was a stop in Lynchburg to face the Hornets. A 7-0, third period, run allowed the University of Lynchburg to hold off a game Hollins squad poised for the upset.
The result: Lynchburg 66-50
How it happened: Hollins played the Hornets tough for the first period, trailing by just a bucket, 18-16. In the early stages of the second frame, the Surles sisters hit back-to-back three pointers to give Hollins a 22-18 edge. The Green and Gold would hold the lead for the next three and a half minutes. However, Lynchburg would close the half with a 17-0 surge and take a double-digit lead into the break. At the mid-way point of the third quarter, Hollins would cut the deficit to seven (34-41) but Lizzie Davis scored seven straight to keep Hollins at arm's length. The Hornets would hold the advantage the rest of the way en route to the ODAC victory.
- First-year guard Kayla Surles led the offense with 15 points and four assists
- Keenan Surles matched her sister, going 3-9 from long range for nine points
- Another double digit rebound night (10) for Keyazia Taylor
- The Hornets won the battle of the boards, 41-33, and turned it over just nine times
- Katie Kolb cmae off the bench to post the double-double, 15 points and 13 rebounds
- All ODAC forward Molly Shepard finished with 13 points and eight boards
What's next: Hollins will make the long trip north to face Shenandoah University on Saturday afternoon.