The event: Basketball - Bridgewater at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: For the second time this season, Hollins took the court against Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rival Bridgewater College. The Eagles took the first matchup back in November however, this time around the two conference foes would be tied at the break. Bridgewater didn't allow a Hollins field goal during the second 20 minutes and took the season series with a 64-33 win.
The result: Bridgewater 64-33
How it happened: After falling to the Eagles (81-56) in Bridgwater on November25th, Hollins looked to even the season series on Saturday afternoon. Hollins raced out to a seven point first half lead and seemed poised to pull away before the break. However, Hollins couldn't take advantage, hitting just four of 14 second period shots. The Eagles would score in the closing seconds to tie the game, 18-18, at halftime. Coming out of the locker room, the Eagles used a 9-0 run, fueled by aggressive defense and excellent shooting, to start to pull away. Bridgewater would shoot 70.9% in the third quarter to put the game out of reach. The Eagles wouldn't allow a second half field goal en route to a second win over Hollins.
- Sophomore Keyazia Taylor grabbed a game high 17 rebounds as Hollins out-rebounded their opponent 42-41
- Kayla Surles scored a team high 12 before being disqualified for fouls
- Forward Yasmine Tyler finished with eight points and six rebounds
- Leading scorer Briana Moore scored all 17 of her points in the second half
- Sydni Carey matched Moore with 17 points while adding eight rebounds and four assists
- Bridgewater went 19-30 from the field after the break
What's next: Hollins will be on the road for a pair of ODAC games over the next 10 days. The first stop is in Lynchburg on Wednesday night.