Event: Basketball - Hollins vs. Methodist (Jean Edge Classic, Rocky Mount, NC)
The lead: The Hollins basketball team looked to pick up their second win of the season and even their early record at 2-2. After falling to N.C. Wesleyan in the opening game of the 2018 Jean Edge Classic, Hollins faced Methodist University in their final game before the Thanksgiving break.
The result: Hollins 72-64
How it happened: The Green and Gold got off to a quick start, taking the first quarter 21-15. 48% first half shooting allowed Hollins to take an eight point lead into the break. The Monarch's offense hit on all cylinders in a third period that saw Methodist hit 10 of 14 attempts, including a perfect 2-2 from long range, taking the lead at the 6:00 minute mark and carrying a two point edge heading into the final 10 minutes of play. The two teams would trade the lead throughout much of the final quarter until Keenan Surles hit a three pointer with 2:09 left on the clock. Hollins would pull away from there and take the game, 72-64.
- Kayla Surles played all 40 minutes in the first start of her career, scoring a game high 26 points and was named to the All-Tournament team
- In just 22 minutes of play, Yasmine Tyler scored 11 points with eight rebounds and four steals
- Hollins 11 total turnovers was their lowest total thus far this season
- Sydney Strange, Keenan and Kayla Surles combined to go 8-13 from the three point line (61.5%)
- The Monarchs out-shot Hollins 48% to 45%
- Kayla Goldsmith came off the bench to pace Methodist with 16 points
- Kody Centry had 13 points and five rebounds and was also named All-Tournament
What's next: Hollins will get their first taste of Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) competition next Sunday when they travel to Bridgewater.