Event: Basketball - Mary Baldwin at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The 2018-19 basketball season kicked off on Sunday afternoon when Hollins hosted Mary Baldwin in their season opener. The Squirrels won on Friday night while Hollins looked to get the Emilee Dunton era off to a good start. Coach Dunton took over the helm of the program in early October.
The result: Mary Baldwin 65-50
How it happened: The season got off to a slow start as the visitors raced out to a double digit lead, 15-4. Hollins responded and closed the quarter on a 8-0 run to cut the deficit. Mary Baldwin would once again look to pull away but a buzzer beater would make it 27-30 at the break. The momentum for Hollins would disappear in a hurry in a third quarter that saw the Squirrels break it open with a 20-5 frame. Hollins would take the finale, 18-15, but it wasn't enough as Mary Baldwin picked up the non-conference win, 65-50.
- Hollins enjoyed a 48-39 advantage on the glass
- Senior LaChrisha Hill recorded a double-double with 12 points and a game high 16 rebounds
- Kayla Surles came off the bench to go 3-9 from long range for 13 points
Mary Baldwin notes:
- A quartet of Squirrels recorded double figures, all freshmen
- Brooke Anders and Leah Calhoun each netted 15 with Mary Moran adding 14 and nine rebounds
- Mary Baldwin scored 20 points off 25 Hollins turnovers
What's next: Hollins will host their second consecutive home game when they play host to Trinity (DC) on Tuesday night.