Event: Volleyball - Hollins at Mary Baldwin (Staunton, VA)
The lead: The Hollins volleyball team played the second of a trio of back-to-back-to-back matches when they traveled to Mary Baldwin on Thursday night. It would be the third match with the Fighting Squirrels this season, Hollins had swept Mary Baldwin twice in early September.
The result: Hollins 3-0 (25-7, 25-21, 25-15)
How it happened: The Green and Gold wasted little time in continuing the early season success against the Squirrels. A 10-3 kill advantage allowed Hollins to cruise to an opening set win, 25-7. Hollins lost focus just a bit in the second frame, committing all four of their service errors in a set that would remain close throughout. However, Hollins would pull away for the 2-0 advantage. Hollins would take that momentum and run away about mid-way through the finale for the third sweep of Mary Baldwin this season.
- After 19 and 17 kills in her previous two matches, Deja Hadden would match her career high with 21 kills (October 27, 2015 vs. Salem)
- Hollins was dominate defensively led by Hannah Arthur and her five blocks (2 solo and 3 assisted)
- 40-21 was the final tally in kills with Hollins recording 72 digs
- A quartet of Hollins back row players registered double-digit digs led by Hannah Piatak (18)
Mary Baldwin notes:
- Deborah Black led with six kills on 21 attacks
- The Squirrels had 21 kills but 18 attack errors
- Brittany Sharon assisted on 17 of the 21 net points
What's next: Hollins will wrap up the three matches in three nights with a trip to Baltimore on Friday. Hollins will play Goucher in a make up match from Hurricane Florence.