Event: Volleyball - Ferrum at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: After defeating Ferrum College earlier this season, Hollins played host to the Panthers in the finale of a Saturday tri-match. Hollins defeated Ferrum 3-1 in Salem and looked to take the second of three matchups this season.
The result: Ferrum 3-2 (26-24, 21-25, 25-19, 22-25, 15-10)
How it happened: The Panthers took the first set with a late surge that erased a 21-24 deficit. Ferrum won five straight points to steal the first frame. The match would be played close throughout, with the two Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) foes alternating wins for the first four sets. Hollins would need to buck that trend to take their second match of the season against the Panthers. The Green and Gold took a lead, 7-5, with just one point remaining before the teams would switch sides of the court. However, Ferrum would score three straight to lead, 8-7, at the change. Hollins would quickly tie, but Ferrum scored three unanswered to pull away and take the finale, 15-10, and a hard fought 3-2 victory.
- Hollins was out-hit at the net 74-52
- Deja Hadden (18) and Kiki Speights (11) each recorded double-digit kills
- Brie Faircloth added eight kills, 13 digs, an assist, and a pair of blocks
- With 39 assists, Casey Mahan led all setters
- Hollins and Ferrum will hook up one more time this season in Hollins home finale, October 23rd
- Ferrum had four attackers with double-digit kills, led by Kaelyn Daniel's 24
- 33 Ferrum attack errors kept Hollins in the match
- Cheyenne Strickland and Arielle Tritt combined to assist on 55 of the Panther's 74 kills
What's next: Hollins will play host to Mid-Atlantic Christian on Tuesday night. The match is scheduled to begin at 7:00pm.