Event: Volleyball - Hollins vs. Piedmont (Salem, VA)
The lead: The second day of the 2018 Maroon Classic, hosted by Roanoke College, got started early for Hollins as they faced Piedmont in the first match of the day. Hollins looked to keep it's undefeated record while the Lions came into day two having lost both it's matches on Friday.
The result: Piedmont 3-0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-22)
How it happened: The Lions would rally from an early deficit, Hollins led or the match was tied for most of the set, to tie the score late in the opening frame. A 5-1 run would put Hollins away and give Piedmont the advantage. The second set was all Piedmont as the looked to end Hollins unbeaten streak with a sweep. The Lion victory appeared in sight before Hollins made a late rally to make the score 22-21. However, Piedmont scored the final three points to take the match, 3-0.
- No Hollins attacker recorded double-digit kills. Kenna Esquibel (7) and Deja Hadden (6) led a balanced attack
- Casey Mahan handed out 25 assists to go with six digs
- For the first time this season, Hollins was out-hit (43-13)
- Esquibel, Kiki Speights, and Hannah Arthur combined for four of Hollins five blocks
- Tatiana Paula led all attacks with 13 kills
- Aubree Yancey was involved in all six of the Lion's blocks
- Piedmont had more errors, 18-15, but hit at a higher percentage, .221-.175
What's next: Hollins will look to get back on track against Methodist University this afternoon at 5:00pm.