Event: Basketball - Hollins at N.C. Wesleyan (Rocky Mount, NC)
The lead: After starting the season, 1-1, with a pair of home games, the Hollins basketball team went on the road for the first time in 2018-19. Hollins would face the host, North Carolina Wesleyan, in the first of two games at the 2018 Jean Edge Classic.
The result: N.C. Wesleyan 74-59
How it happened: The game would see neither team score for the first 4:00 of play. Hollins would open up the scoring, 4-0, and push their advantage to 9-2 with just over three minutes left in the opening frame. However, the hosts would close the quarter on a 10-5 run to cut the Hollins lead to just a basket, 14-12. The Battling Bishops would score the first six points of the second period and never relinquish the lead for the remainder of the night. In the first 2:00 of the second half, N.C. Wesleyan would push the advantage to double-digits and Hollins would get no closer as the Bishops would take the win, 74-59.
- Keenan Sulres would come off the bench to lead Hollins with 16 points in just 28 minutes of play
- In just 22 minutes, Keyazia Taylor, would just miss a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
- Kayla Surles wouls face early foul trouble en route to 11 points and five assists
North Carolina Wesleyan notes:
- After falling to Lynchburg in their season debut, the Battling Bishops evened their record at 1-1
- Kayla Johnson led with 15 points while Daijah Davis added 12
- NCW enjoyed a nine rebound advantage and caused 22 Hollins turnovers
What's next: Hollins will look to get back on track tomorrow afternoon when they face Methodist University in the second, and final, day of the Jean Edge Classic.